Monday, January 19, 2015

Week 23: Papayas and Belly Property

Week 23...

I cried a little when I went through my closet and packed away my favorite pair of jeans.  The last time I put them on I looked like a muffin.  I don't want them lurking on the shelf taunting me for the next few months, and so I packed them and other thou shalt not taunt me clothes into tupperware containers.

Our break-up was rather sophomoric and short lived though, as less than a day after sealing them away, my maternity jeans arrived in the mail and I don't know that I ever want to wear anything else ever again.  Consider your favorite pair of jeans.  Comfortable... ...until you sit down to Thanksgiving dinner.  A perfect fit... ...until you decide that half of a pizza is a perfectly reasonable idea.  Maternity jeans are like your favorite jeans in every way, but have a one-foot wide elastic waistband so they are not so friggin' judgmental.

As my belly expands, I have become uncomfortably aware of another important milestone of pregnancy.  Suddenly, absolute strangers want to touch my belly.  In the post office.  The grocery store.  Even at the motor vehicle office-the bastion of anonymity-a  nice little old lady rubbed me like I was a buddha and declared that I was having a girl.  Evidently, my belly is now communal property.  It would have been nice to get some kind of notice.  

CNP, 2015
I'm actually relieved to look pregnant though, as it means our little girl has finally been pushing out and making some room for herself.  She is currently the size of a papaya, and weighs about a pound.  It is hard to imagine what I'll feel like when she clocks in at five times this size.

CNP, 2015
Until next week,
Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment