Monday, October 27, 2014

Week 13: Peaches and One Third

Week 13...

One third down... two thirds (give or take, what, a month?) left to go.  I'm coming to terms with the fact that I've got a little bambino inside of me that has vocal cords, teeth, and fingerprints, abhors the smell of smoked meat, chicken, or coffee, and is enamored by snacking.

I know logically where all of this is going to go... staving off morning sickness, seeing my friends around me who are pregnant get bigger, and knowing that what is now the size of a peach will eventually weigh in around seven pounds.  And then, then I went to a bar-b-q this weekend, and sat with a friend who is about two weeks away from birth.  She is a tiny, athletic woman, and her pregnancy dominates her body.  In an hour sitting with her under the apple trees in the back yard, here are an assortment of comments:

"You look enormous!!"
"You are huge!  Weren't you due last week?"
"She (the baby) is really taking over your whole body!"
"Are you able to move around much?"

I know you aren't supposed to use vocabulary like "celestial, enormous, continental, colossal, elephantine" or other synonyms for "huge" when describing pregnant women.  And I was appalled by how frequently people felt free to discuss my friend's weight.  BUT, I also was almost compelled to discuss her size and I wanted to talk about my own mass in a way I have never cared about.  So, in preparation for the future, and as a helpful tool for those who may need to restrict their verbal diarrhea about weight, I'm offering up this "Non-Huge Thesaurus."  

CNP, 2014

In the world of the bambino, it is still making amazing advances in growth and development.  If it is a girl, it already has all of its eggs for later in life.  It has a coat of hair, and I think the most amazing aspect of my week was when my doctor brought my partner and me in for a quick ultrasound and we could see the hemispheres of the brain, legs, and frontal view.

CNP, 2014.

And now for the 'real' world.  I've told my work that I'm pregnant!  And the rest of the world awaits.

Until next week,
Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment